Friday, November 21, 2008

Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cookie

Ever since I discovered Trader Joe's all natural peanut butter (the best peanut butter I've ever had AND less than $2 a jar!!) I've returned to my old ways of peanut butter sandwiches and peanut butter cookies.

The recipe I used for these cookies is on so many vegan blogs and cookbooks that I'm not sure anyone knows who can be credited for the original recipe. I changed it just a little bit to make the chocolate flavor richer after I found my first batch to be not chocolaty enough.


Ingredients:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup cocoa powder
½ teasp baking soda
½ cup margarine, softened
½ cup vegan white sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup soy milk
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
½ cup powdered sugar
½ cup natural peanut butter


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Mix flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a small bowl. In a large bowl, cream white and brown sugar with margarine. Stir in soy milk and chocolate chips. Combine wet and dry ingredients. It will be a little dryer than your average cookie dough because you'll have to manage the dough in your hands.

In a separate bowl, combine natural peanut butter (don't ever cook with that weird vegetable oil stuff) and powdered sugar.

The next part is a little more involved. With your hands, scoop up about 3 tablespoons of the chocolate batter and smoosh it into a disk. Place about 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture in the center of the disk and fold the sides of the disk up, smoothing out the seam. Place on the cookie sheet seam-side down.

Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. Enjoy the gooey peanut butter and chocolate deliciousness.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds delicious! i'm definitely gonna try it out, thanks. :)

sgcorrie said...

These are amazing. I tricked all of my deer-huntin' coworkers. Thank you sooo much!

PUG and PIPS said...

yum! My Boyfriend is vegan (I am only vegetarian), I'm going try making these for him. Thanks for sharing :)

Sewon said...

That looks so good! Laura, you should update your blog!